Play is learning for life, but most of all Play is fun!
Imaginative play as an essential part of a child's personal growth and development. Play require having expensive tools or a back garden - simply helping kids to use a little imagination.
Children need freedom to play to practise skills, explore the world around them and develop understanding in their own way and in their own time. Real play comes from children's need to express themselves, to explore, learn about and make sense of their world.
Play can be challenging and make children's hearts beat faster! It can be lively or relaxed, noisy or quiet, solitary or with friends. Play can happen with or without equipment, indoors or outside. It can be light hearted or very, very serious!
Why parents should play?
Playing with your child is one of the most wonderful things about being a parent. It's a vital part of the way babies and children grow and learn.
The time you spend just having fun together:
- helps you get to know each other and brings you closer;
- makes your child feel loved and secure, which helps them to develop self esteem and social skills;
- helps children learn to make sense of the world;
- helps to keep children fit and active;
- provides a variety of learning opportunities.
Ideas for play for children, toddlers and babies:
Playing at home
Make musical instruments
Fun with plastic bottle skittles
Home made finger paints